The music and sound of Chapter 1 are quite strongly defined by elements of retro futurism, typically in the use of synths and even the odd theremin to hammer in the feel:
The visual influences for this chapter are a bit of both old and new. Particularly Simon Stålenhag, who I originally discovered through my fondness for Findus och Pettson:
- Simon Stålenhag (almost everything he makes)
- Ron Cobb (amazing spaceships)
- Ridley Scott (great industrial designs)
- The Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things, lots of good era-defining elements to look at)
Chapter 1 has been inspired by so many myriads of different books and stories, it’s hard to really list them all. However, there are a handful of books and writers that stand out above the others:
- The Dirk Gently Omnibus and the general style of Douglas Adams has been a great reminder; even in the direst of moments, the universe can often be laughably bizarre and unpredictable.
- Neuromancer and almost everything else by William Gibson in that style, has helped a lot in defining the corporate cultures and the deeper existential questions that are posed throughout the chapter.
- H.P. Lovecraft and his many stories have meant a great deal when it came to focusing on the mystery and dread of existential horror – the ‘force-of-nature’ villains that we learn to live with rather than try to deal with or even comprehend.
Above all of the other categories, games have probably had the greatest influence on my creative process, simply due to their influence on my life in general. Here is a list of the games I believe to have carried the most influence on Chapter 1, across the different categories above: